Researching Tempstar central ACs and other brands is easy with our comprehensive air conditioner reviews. This Tempstar air conditioner review includes basic specifications for all models—efficiency and pros and cons. You can also compare with other AC reviews we’ve completed for Carrier, Lennox, Trane, Bryant, Goodman and more.
Temptstar is part of International Comfort Products (ICP). This is a division of Carrier, though models are distinct from Carrier air conditioners. Heil, Arcoaire, KeepRite and ComfortMaker are ICP brands sold nationally or regionally in North America and DO have the same models as Tempstar.
- PREMIUM AIR CONDITIONER COVER: The Ravenna Square Air Conditioner AC Cover is designed to fit square air conditioners...
- Waterproof backing keeps your air conditioner dry while elastic hem cords move easily through a special channel for a...
- One (1) Custom-colored buckle will keep your cover secure in any weather; Adjustable webbing belts slide easily for a...
Tempstar Air Conditioner Brand Overview
Tempstar makes a varied lineup of 12 central air conditioner models, each in sizes up to 60,000BTU/h (aka 5 tons). They are grouped into three series:
- Basic: Performance Series (7 models, 13-16 SEER);
- Better: QuietComfort Series (3 models, 13-16 SEER);
- Best: Deluxe Series (2 models, 17 & 19 SEER).
Our goals are to assist you in selecting an AC that fits your efficiency and performance needs. We also aim to help in deciding if an AC/furnace system or heat pump system is a better option for your specific heating and AC requirements.
Tempstar Air Conditioner Technical Specs
The specifications are where we learn about efficiency and performance to find the best one for our application.
- The Deluxe 19 TVA9 is Tempstar’s AC with a variable-speed compressor that modulates between 40% and 100% to deliver just enough cooling to keep your home’s temperature precisely on the thermostat set point (think cruise control);
- The Deluxe 17 (TCA7) is Tempstar’s only 2-stage model. So, it runs on low capacity (about 65%) most of the time for quieter cooling with little temperature fluctuation;
- The other 10 models are single-stage ACs that run at full capacity with performance that is loud. It also creates slight temperature swings and does not reduce humidity as well as 2-stage and variable-speed models;
- Deluxe Series models and the QuietComfort 16 (TSA6) are Tempstar’s only Energy Star-certified models;
- Deluxe and QuietComfort Tempstar air conditioner models are supported by the brand’s Wi-Fi Observer control. It allows remote monitoring and adjusting. This is even though Tempstar ACs can work with any brand thermostat that matches single-stage or stage cooling;
- Noise limits range from 56dB in the Deluxe 19, considered comparatively quiet, to 76dB in the Performance 16, considered significantly louder than average.
- Privacy screen is completely solid for maximum privacy
- Not Only will this screen hide your unmentionables, but it will also add curb appeal to your home
- Crafted with Premium PVC vinyl, this privacy screen looks the same from both sides
PROs and CONs of Tempstar Air Conditioners
The public considers ICP brands including Tempstar above average for quality and reliability. However, the quality of the installation plays a major role too. Here are Tempstar AC pros and cons for comparison with other brands on your short list.
Tempstar Air Conditioner PROs
- You have fair efficiency and performance options with the lineup from 13-19 SEER and single-stage, two-stage and variable-capacity units;
- Tempstar offers warranties that are well-above the industry average. This includes many with 5-year or 10-year unit replacement coverage that provides for a complete new AC/condensing unit if the compressor or coil fail in that time;
- The two-speed fan motor on Deluxe models runs more quietly and more efficiently than single-stage fans do;
- The Performance 14 NH4A4 Tempstar air conditioner is a compact model ideal for installation in multi-family housing. They also work in residences where distance between houses is narrow and other space-limited locations;
- The Performance 13 N4A3**C is durably built and coated for the demands of harsh, seaside climates. But since its efficiency is just 13 SEER, it is not a good fit for warm, humid locations;
- Powder-coat finishes are durable and they resist to fading and scratching;
- Soft-mounted compressors on Deluxe and QuietComfort Tempstar air conditioner models reduce compressor startup noise;
- The four units compatible with the Observer wall control are ideal for those with variable, unpredictable schedules who want the convenience of controlling their HVAC system remotely to reduce energy use and make sure their home is comfortable when they arrive;
- Tempstar has a national distribution system, so replacement parts and entire units are readily available throughout North America;
- Any professional HVAC technician can service these units.
Tempstar Air Conditioner CONs
- The most efficient unit, the 19 SEER TVA9, is significantly less efficient than top models from Lennox (XC25 – 26 SEER), Maytag (PSA4BI – 25.5 SEER) and Amana (AVXCO – 24.5 SEER). So, it isn’t the best choice in climates with extreme heat;
- There are 12 Tempstar air conditioner models. Yet, only the top two offer staged cooling with little performance or efficiency difference between the bottom six units;
- Air conditioners with sound levels of 74-76 decibels are loud. Six Tempstar ACs are in that range;
- Tempstar air conditioner models have competitive prices. But, like most brand ACs, they are only sold through registered dealers. Sp, it requires getting a written estimate to know what the total installation cost will be.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Tempstar Air Conditioner
- The first consideration is whether a central AC is the right choice for you. In very warm climates where heating is rarely necessary, a heat pump and air handler might keep energy bills lower throughout the year. In very cold climates, a heat pump and gas furnace dual-fuel system is the best path to low energy bills. Tempstar heat pumps are dual-fuel compatible.
- If you’re replacing just the AC, then consider efficiency. The warmer and/or more humid your summers are, the higher the unit’s efficiency should be. The one exception might be if you are moving soon and don’t want to pay more for an AC you won’t use for long. But remember that smart buyers will want to know the AC’s efficiency. A very efficient Tempstar air conditioner can be a selling point.
- Finally, make sure your AC contractor installs the right size air conditioner. If your home’s insulation, doors or windows have been through an upgrade since the last AC installation, the replacement Tempstar air conditioner should probably be smaller than the last one. A unit that is too large wastes energy. It can also cause temperature swings by over-cooling the space.
- Outperforms fiberglass, washable and non-electrostatic pleated 1-Inch filters
- Carries a 1000 microparticle performance rating (mpr)
- Attracts and captures microscopic particles like smoke and smog and large allergens like mold spores and pollen from the...
Don’t Forget Quality Installation
Many rigorous tests of air conditioners on the market show that most leading brands, Tempstar included, perform well when after a proper installation. A careless and imprecise process and setup can cause even the very best ACs to run poorly and have mechanical issues early. Get estimates from several local AC companies with a good reputation. Also, make sure the installers are certified, experienced and insured and that their work is backed by a warranty.
Has our Tempstar air conditioner review allowed you to narrow your options for your next AC? Why not help your friends and followers narrow their choices too by sharing this post? Remember to check out all our HVAC reviews to compare brands, HVAC systems, thermostats and more.