This Lennox AC Guide is a comprehensive review of Lennox air conditioner main models that will assist you in selecting the right unit for your climate and your efficiency and performance preferences.
The pros and cons are a good source of information when comparing Lennox to Amana air conditioners and other top brands we’ve reviewed including:
In 1895, Dave Lennox began manufacturing the first riveted steel furnace in the US. From that innovative start, Lennox has been a leader in residential performance and efficiency. A private company until 1999, Lennox is now a public brand and the parent company of several other HVAC brands. Some of them are Armstrong Air, Air-Ease and Ducane. However, their product lineups are different than Lennox’s.
Lennox Air Conditioner Brand Overview
Like many leading brands, this onemakes basic (Merit Series), better (Elite Series) and best series (Signature Collection) Lennox air conditioners. The differences involve efficiency and performance, the two major factors in how much an air conditioner costs.
The Lennox Signature Collection XC25 is the top pick for this entire brand. Also, it has the distinction of being the most efficient split system AC available with efficiency up to 26 SEER. There are 10 other models starting at 13 SEERS.
Lennox Air Conditioners Technical Specifications
The wide range of models is designed to meet consumers’ needs. This is whether they want a cheap, low-efficiency model or are willing to pay top dollar for a premium AC with great efficiency and climate control features.
- Lennox single-stage air conditioners are made in each series. They range in efficiency from 13 to 18.5 SEER with the top-pick Lennox SL18XC1. They make the industry’s most efficient single-stage model.
- Single-stage ACs are affordable, but run at full capacity all the time. Therefore, the cycles are loud and might cool past the thermostat set point.
- Lennox two-stage models are available at 17.2 SEER. The top-pick Lennox XC21 is a 21 SEER AC that is the most efficient in its class.
- Two-stage ACs run at low capacity for quieter, more balanced cycles. They remove more humidity from summer air than single-stage models can.
- Lennox makes two variable-capacity ACs, the XC25 and the Elite XC20 with a 20 SEER rating.
- Variable-capacity ACs modulate up and down like cruise control. They deliver precise balance, the quietest performance and the best dehumidification.
- All Lennox air conditioners are compatible with the brand’s SunSource solar panels that can provide enough energy for the entire HVAC system in sunny climates.
Pros and Cons of Lennox Air Conditioners
For all the advantages Lennox ACs offer, there are a few concerns to consider.
Lennox AC Pros
- Lennox’s high-efficiency ACs can reduce air conditioning costs and energy use by as much as 60 percent when replacing an old AC;
- Two variable-capacity models give you efficiency and cost options for premium indoor climate control;
- Seven Lennox air conditioner models meet Energy Star criteria. Also, they are eligible for rebates from many energy companies;
- Lennox covers the other bases too – affordable models for those that don’t require an efficient AC;
- The brand makes a full range of heating, air conditioning, home ventilation equipment and thermostats. Moreover, by coordinating a system with compatible components is the best way to optimize efficiency and comfort;
- The Wi-Fi thermostat controls allow you to monitor and control your HVAC from anywhere using a smart device;
- Lennox’s service record is in the top 5-7 of all brands in most years.
Lennox AC Cons
- Most Lennox air conditioner models cost more than comparable ACs;
- Lennox warranties are average for the industry – 10 years for Signature Collection and Elite Series units and 5 years for Merit Series. Goodman, Amana, Maytag, Westinghouse and Heil are among the brands offering longer warranties;
- Lennox makes its own repair parts, unlike most other brands. While that might improve quality, supply-chain issues sometimes delay parts and repairs;
- The brand is currently having issues with Lennox air conditioner coils in some models;
- As is true with most top brands, you can only buy a Lennox air conditioner through an authorized dealer. So, comparing pricing is impossible without getting a sales presentation from a representative.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Lennox Air Conditioner
If you speak with a Lennox sales agent, we suggest you ask about the coil issues. If he or she claims not to be aware of the issue, try a different brand. Only choose Lennox if you get assurances from your local dealer that the coil will receive a proper warranty. While the part is covered for 10 years, the labor is generally covered for just one year. Consider purchasing an extended warranty on the labor.
When purchasing an air conditioner, the hotter your climate is, the more efficient your AC should be. The extra cost might be paid back through lower energy costs in as little as three years. Also, you’ll be saving money every cooling month beyond that.
Many of our readers are committed to ecofriendly heating and cooling. To create the least environmental impact, choose the most efficient AC you can afford and/or consider the installation of a whole-house attic fan. This option can quickly replace warm air in the home with cool evening air. If you’re in a sunny climate, ask your Lennox dealer about SunSource. The equipment is expensive, but it could reduce your cooling costs (heating too) to zero!
Ask your HVAC contractor to do a proper load test to ensure that the Lennox air conditioner you select has large enough capacity – but not too large. If your home has been made more energy efficient since the last AC was installed, perhaps by adding insulation or upgrading the windows, then your next air conditioner should be smaller.
Consider, Compare and Share
We hope this Lennox air conditioner guide has been helpful as you consider and compare one of the industry’s leading brands.
It’s easy to share this post on social media to benefit friends and followers looking at their central AC options.