Featured Image: Unsplash
Cold can easily ruin your day. Even if you've got a good book, your favorite blanket, and a nice cup of tea, there is something enervating about having to deal with a constant chill in your home. Even though you do not feel like you are spending energy, your body has to convert your chemical energy into heat to combat the effects of the cold. You can actually buy yourself a more restful existence by purchasing one of the best infrared heaters.
We set out to compare a shortlist of ten heaters that could conceivably vie for the title of “best infrared heater." We put together a rubric and scored each of these ten entries against each other to determine which model we consider the best buy for its price point. We will share these evaluations with you; but first, let us answer some of the most frequently asked questions we have received concerning the best infrared heaters around.
- 5,200 BTU heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000 square feet
- Adjustable thermostat allows you to decide the temperature of your room
- Overheat protection, heater will instantly shut off before overheating
- Dimensions: 13W x 16.25D x 17.5H in.
- Heats up to 1400 cubic. feet with 5100 BTU's
- Produces natural, quiet, and efficient infrared heat
- This portable 1500 watt infrared heater has the power to heat up to 1000 sq. ft (w/supplemental heating) with its 5200...
- Our patented heat exchanger with HMS Technology combines with humidity in the room to provide soft, safe heat without...
- Small convenient size makes this perfect for any room in the house. Optional castors make it easy for you to move from...
- Provides Infrared Warmth to a Medium Room
- 3 Heat Settings Including 500 Watt Eco Setting
- 12 Hour Start and Stop Timer
- COMPACT INFRARED HEATER - Multipurpose Space Heater Provides Supplemental Warmth for Any Indoor Space; Use in Living...
- 6 POWERFUL ELEMENTS - Ecofriendly Infrared Quartz Elements Radiate Heat to Warm Area; Maintain Room Temperature With...
- LCD CONTROL PANEL - Built-In Digital Interface Displays Set & Ambient Temperatures in °F/°C; Set Timer & Choose Heat...
- HEAT - Efficiently and quickly heats up a medium to large size room with its dual heating system and powerful fan.
- LED display for easy monitoring. Quiet and efficient blower fan. Remote control included.
- ETL certified. Max power: 1500W, Low mode power: 750W, Eco mode power - variable to maintain 68°
- Safe to the touch grill. 1000 watts of power and 3100 BTUs means you can heat up to 500 sq. ft. with supplemental...
- Space saving wall mount design means you don't lose floor space. Perfect for bedrooms, kitchens, offices and more
- Uses less than 2 square feet of wall space and plugs into a normal 110v outlet. When installed over the outlet, you can...
- 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning;...
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels. Fuel Consumption/Burn Rate...
1. What Is an Infrared Heater?
Image via Amazon
An infrared heater is an electronic device that plugs into your wall and produces infrared radiation to heat your room. Most can do the job of warming up a space without taking up too much space themselves. They can be contrasted with older technology like oil-filled coil radiators. The best infrared heaters can use a relatively small heating element to transfer their heat to a room and its inhabitants easily.
2. What Is Infrared?
Infrared radiation is electromagnetic radiation on the same scale as visible light but at a slightly lower frequency than the red light we can see. Just as ultraviolet radiation is radiation at a higher frequency than violet, infrared similarly sits just outside the spectrum of visible light.
If you've ever eaten chicken that has been left out under a heat lamp, you have seen an infrared bulb. Heat lamps use a concentrated form of infrared radiation.
3. Is Infrared Radiation Safe?
Don't be concerned with the word “radiation.” In this case, it has more to do with radio waves and light than it does with nuclear waste. You will not register on a Geiger counter after bathing in infrared.
In fact, there are thousands of studies which show that red light and infrared light provide a whole host of health benefits. The therapy based around red light (known as RLT or “red light therapy”) has controversially been cited as the cure to everything from chronic fatigue, to acne, to cancer. The studies are really quite promising, and these benefits are worth a Google for those who are interested in the cutting edge of health. Buying one of the best infrared heaters can be a great way to start on a red light therapeutic journey.
How We Reviewed the Best Infrared Heaters
Image via Amazon
After we had separated the wheat from the chaff, we further evaluated each of our entries to find out which model represents the best infrared heater on the market. Each of these ten finalists were scored according to their features, their price point, their pros, and their cons. We listed a place to buy each of these items, if our descriptions so inspire you. Considering these scores, we were able to choose the best from our list as the winner.
Overall Price Range
You can expect to pay around a hundred to a hundred and fifty dollars to secure one of the best infrared heaters for yourself. In our review process, we found that heaters that asked for about double this price rarely offered features that warranted the price hike. Similarly, those that asked less than half this price point did not seem to work very effectively at all.
What We Reviewed
Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater With Humidifier
We've all been in the situation where you need to up the heat but you end up drying out the air in the process. It seems like a Faustian bargain. You want to avoid the cold, but it seems like you have to sacrifice your throat and skin moisture to the process. Luckily, that is not the case with the Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater, because it comes with a built-in humidifier. We loved how easily this model heated up a room and kept it from drying out at the same time.
Duraflame Portable Infrared Quartz Heater
Duraflame has been working in the heating game for a long time now. If you envision support and a solid warranty as a reason you select one of these models as your personal best infrared heater, this may be the choice for you. We found that the Duraflame Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Heater did an excellent job with large rooms. Its auto-shut-off system is an essential protection.
LifeSmart 6 Element Quartz Large Room Infrared Heater
The modern household is quickly moving toward automation. When human beings learned they could change their TV channels with a remote device that emitted radio waves, the convenience revolution began. Now even heaters participate. You can remotely control your heater if you purchase the LifeSmart 6 Element Quartz w/Wood Cabinet.
Heat Storm Preston Portable Infrared Space Heater
The heat storm does not look like any of the best infrared heater candidates that we have presented so far. Whereas the others usually rock a wood-and-stainless-steel “Amish fireplace” sort of vibe, the Heat Storm Preston Portable Infrared Space Heater looks like something that might heat Darth Vader's meditation chamber. We find it as slick looking as it is efficient at providing infrared heat.
Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater
If you need a lot of heat in a small package, the Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater could be the best infrared heater for your needs. The remote access really cannot be overstated in terms of convenience. We did find that this unit struggled with larger rooms, and it does tend to heat itself up more than other competitors. However, it is about as cheap as one of the best infrared heaters can be purchased for. And, after all, it does call itself a "medium room" heater. It's a bit much to ding it for not being able to heat large rooms when it never claims to be able to.
Ivation Portable Electric Space Heater
We found the Ivation Portable Electric Space Heater to be among the most attractive models out there in the classic vein. The dark cherry oak looks great and the LCD screen is easy to read and use. Add to that 6 eco-friendly powerful infrared elements and you've got yourself one of the best compact infrared heaters for a reasonable price.
Homegear 1500W Infrared Portable Wooden Space Heater
There's not much to distinguish the Homegear 1500W Infrared Portable Wooden Space Heater from the rest of the crowd. However, this does not mean it is not a solid heater. It ticks nearly every box you would need from a heater of this price. It will do a great job heating a room, but it does not come with some of the extra features you might want, like a remote control or a humidity control feature.
Heat Storm Deluxe Infrared Wall Heater
Heat Storm really brings the heat when it comes to aesthetics. The Heat Storm Deluxe Infrared Wall Heater is no exception. Whereas the previous Heat Storm model we considered had a “space villain” sort of vibe, the Heat Storm Deluxe Infrared Wall Heater rocks more of a “Apple utopia” sort of look. On top of that, it does an excellent job heating a room while remaining safe to the touch.
Mr. Heater Buddy
If you are tired of all these heaters that look like they came out of carpenter's workshops, you will be refreshed by the Mr. Heater Buddy. This infrared heater looks like a piece of industrial equipment and performs like it, too. Instead of a wooden cabinet, this baby is housed in a steel, plastic, and nickel encasing that comes with a handle to make it easy to transport.
Duraflame Portable Infrared Quartz
Not everyone needs a compact solution to their heating troubles. Some people just need the cold eliminated and want to bathe themselves in the healing warmth of infrared. If space is not your concern, you will be hard pressed to find a better infrared heater than the Duraflame Portable Infrared Quartz. This model covers much more vertical space by being larger, making it ideal for large rooms.
Ultimately, the heating needs of one's space will determine which is the best infrared heater for them. Some will be swayed by the aesthetics, as some rooms call for more “science-fiction” appliances, and others will want wooden finishes so that they will blend in.
However, in terms of overall features and price point, nobody could compete with the LifeSmart Large Room Infrared Heater. We declare this model to be the best infrared heater on today's market.