Our Amana AC guide is your one-stop place to research for the right Amana central air conditioner. Then, you can decide if the brand is a good choice for your residential or commercial space. The information below allows you to browse Amana air conditioner performance with technical specification and top units in each class.
Amana AC pros and cons offer insight for comparing this brand with others we’ve reviewed. Our reviews include Goodman, Bryant, and Carrier.
Amana Air Conditioner Brand Overview
George Foerstner designed and started manufacturing a beverage cooler in Amana, IA, in 1934. His company grew into the Amana Corporation and enjoyed decades of innovative productivity. Some examples are the first upright freezer and first side-by-side refrigerator. In 1997, Goodman Manufacturing acquired Amana. The company maintained it as a separate brand but with a nearly identical product lineup to Goodman’s.
The next chapter began in 2014 when global HVAC giant Daikin acquired both brands. Currently, the Amana air conditioner lineup is being upgraded to make Amana/Daikin one of the top five to ten brands in the industry. This places them alongside Trane/American Standard, Carrier/Bryant, Maytag/Westinghouse and Lennox. Goodman remains the leading budget brand of HVAC equipment.
Amana Air Conditioner Technical Specifications
The eight Amana air conditioner models perform well in three classes:
- Base Amana ACs: These single-stage air conditioners with SEER ratings for efficiency between 14 SEER and the top pick in this series, the 16 SEER Energy Star-qualified Amana ASX16 central AC;
- Better Amana air conditioners: The ASXC16 with 16 SEER efficiency and the ASXC18 with 19 SEER efficiency, contain a two-stage scroll compressor for low-capacity/high-capacity cooling. This tool is quieter, reduces humidity better than single-stage models and improves temperature balance;
- The Amana AVXC20 is the best Amana air conditioner currently available. It has an outstanding 24.5 SEER rating made possible with the inverter technology compressor. The compressor runs at variable speed like cruise control with slight modulations. It aims to deliver precise cooling and premium dehumidification;
- Both Amana two-stage models and the variable speed AVXC20 are wired for an Amana ComfortNet Communications thermostat. This is a $500 upgrade that synchronizes system components to ensure the best possible performance and efficiency;
- As with all brands, superior efficiency and climate control go hand in hand. This is because the longer, slower cycles of two-stage and variable-capacity compressors make the best use of energy too.
Pros and Cons of Amana Air Conditioners
With the acquisition by Daikin, Amana is once again an industry leader. Here are reasons to consider Amana and a few potential disadvantages too.
Amana AC Pros
- The range of models in price, performance and efficiency create options for homeowners in all climates;
- Try replacing an old AC with a 19 SEER Amana ASXC18 or the 24.5 SEER Amana AVXC20. Then, you’ll get eco-friendly cooling that will cut energy costs up to 60%;
- The 24.5 SEER efficiency of the AVXC20 is in the top three of all models with the Lennox XC25 (26 SEER) and Maytag PSA4BI (25.5 SEER);
- Amana air conditioner models that qualify for Energy Star might also be eligible for energy rebates. So check with your local unity company or look for local rebates;
- Amana warranties are among the very best in the industry. They include a complete unit replacement warranty, covering the compressor on the top models;
- Even the base models ANX13 and ASX13 have 10-year warranties. All this time, base models from top brands like Carrier come with 5-year warranties and a higher price. That makes Amana a very good value;
- Amana air conditioners consistently receive verified user ratings above 90%, often as high as 98% recommendations.
Amana AC Cons
- The upgrade to Amana products has happened in the last few years. So if you choose Amana, make sure the equipment you receive was made in 2016 or later. This way you also ensure you’re getting a superior AC or complete HVAC system;
- As of this writing, none of the Amana control/thermostats are Wi-Fi enabled for controlling your system remotely using your phone and an app. But there are Wi-Fi thermostats like the ecobee3 and the 3rd generation Nest thermostat that support Amana systems;
- With the upgrade in the quality of the Amana air conditioner lineup, it is likely that prices might rise and costs will be higher. But Goodman’s lineup that Amana was once identical with should remain a best seller in the low-cost HVAC market niche;
- There might be some early confusion about Amana’s old and new units. This is because the newer models need Daikin replacement parts, not the old Amana parts. But the confusion should be cleared up within the first few years. Also, new ACs shouldn’t require much service anyway.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Amana Air Conditioner
- Efficiency: The hotter and more humid your climate is on this Climate Zone map and/or the longer you plan to stay in your current home, the more cost-effective it is to buy a very efficient Amana air conditioner. It can be the 19 SEER ASXC18 or the 24.5 SEER AVXC20. In cool climates where running the AC is an occasional need, a moderately efficient model like the ANX13 or ANX14 cost less compared with more efficient models.
- Eco-friendliness: If minimizing your environmental impact is important to you, then buy the most efficient AC model you can afford. Keep it maintained to run as efficiently and durably as possible.
- AC vs. heat pump: ACs come with gas or oil furnaces, most of the time. But did you know that a heat pump is a more efficient way to heat than even an efficient gas furnace? And heat pumps provide air conditioning too. If you’re buying the equipment for new construction or are replacing an entire HVAC system, talk to your HVAC contractor about heat pump or dual fuel heat pump options.
- AC size: If you’ve added insulation or upgraded windows with energy-efficient glass, your replacement AC probably doesn’t need to be as large as the old one. It also shouldn't be so. Talk to your contractor about doing a Manual J load calculation to accurately size the unit.
Choosing and Cooling
The best way to get a quality Amana air conditioner properly installed is to request estimates from three of the top HVAC companies in your area. Look for an experienced installer that is licensed, insured and has a proven track record of quality installation and excellent customer service.
We make HVAC research easy, and we hope it’s been interesting too. If your friends and followers might be researching an AC or HVAC system for their homes, perhaps they’d benefit from you sharing this Amana AC guide with them!